Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Copy and Paste Parent Tips

Paste the checklist into your organization's publications.

Checklist for Parents of First Graders
These skills usually develop during first grade. Talk with your child's teacher if you have questions.

____ My child knows all the letters of the alphabet.

_____ My child knows the difference between letters and words, and knows there are spaces between words in print.

_____ My child knows that written words represent speech and can show how words are represented by letters arranged in a specific order.

_____ My child knos some punctuation marks and where sentences and paragraphs begin and end.

_____ My child is beginning to understand and explain why people read.

_____ My child can put together (blend) and break apart the sounds of most one-syllable words and can count the number of syllables in a word.

_____ My child can sound out words he doesn't know, and recognize some irregularly spelled words, such as said, you, and are.

_____ My child reads and understands simple written instructions.

_____ My child reads first grade books alund, and can tell when she cannot understand what she is reading.

_____ My child uses what he already knows to enrich what he is reading.

_____ My child predicts what will happen next in a story.

_____ My child asks questions (how, why, what if?) about books she is reading and can describe what she has learned from a book.

_____ My child uses simple punctuation marks and capital letters.

_____ My child is curious about words and uses new words when he speaks and writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment