Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Even if you're not Irish there are good reasons to take note of St. Patrick's Day, and other special days on the calendar, with your preschooler. Knowing the legends and customs associated with these days help young children accumulate the background knowledge and vocabulary they need to be good readers. Try reading the word leprechaun, using only what you know about phonics (sounding it out). Now imagine that someone helps you pronounce the word, but you have no idea that it refers to a little man with a pot of gold!

There's no need to buy decorations, or make a big deal of days that aren't that special to you personally. Just take a moment to read a book or sing a song. Here's one to try. Sing it to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

The Leprechaun Song
I'm a little leprechaun, leprechaun, leprechaun. I'm a little leprechaun, who likes to hide my gold.
I dress in green from head to toe, head to toe, head to toe. I dress in green from head to toe, I wear green all day long.
You'll never catch me or my gold, or my gold, or my gold. You'll never catch me or my gold, I hide it much too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment