Monday, June 15, 2009

Copy and Paste Parent Tips

Copy and paste to use in your organization's publications.

Here's a handy checklist to see how you're doing with helping your child "get ready to read" during the ages of 2 and 3.

_____ I read with my child every day, even if it's only for a few minutes.

_____ I encourage my child to bring his favorite books to me so that we can read together.

_____ I point to pictures and name them out loud, and encourage my child to point to pictures while we read.

_____ I watch to see if my child sometimes makes eye contact with me when I read aloud. That tells me she is paying attention to me and the story.

_____ I talk with my child throughout the day about things we are doing and things that are happening around us.

_____ I try to be patient when my child wants to read the same book over and over again.

_____ I encourage my child to "play with books - pick them up, flip them from front to back, and turn the pages.

_____ Sometimes I listen when my child pretends to read a book - he holds the book, goes from page to page, and says words, even though tey're not the words on the page.

_____ I give my child paper and crayons so she can scribble, make pictures and pretend to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment