Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Minnesota Department of Education Releases "AYP" Results

Updated with correction! This post previously said Robert J. Elkington Middle School failed to make AYP. The school DID make AYP. I regret the error. Toni Wilcox, Editor

The standardized tests our children take in public school are one of the measures used to determine if schools are making "AYP" or Adequate Yearly Progress under the federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements. Attendance and graduation rates are also used, but the MCAII results form the lion's share of how schools are rated.

You can find AYP data at the Minnesota Department of Education web site here. In Itasca County the Greenway, Nashwauk-Keewatin, and Deer River school districts all met the AYP standards while Grand Rapids fell short. In Grand Rapids, Cohasset and Forest Lake Elementary Schools, Big Fork Secondary and Grand Rapids High all failed to make AYP

2 comments:

  1. Toni--Just a clarification. As I look at it, the Middle School did make AYP, but the Middle Area Learning center did not. However, my eyes to glaze over a bit as I try to decifer all the numbers. I'm not sure how to interpret it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaci. I double checked and those spread sheet lines ran together on me. I've corrected the post above.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete